As the end of my time at the Hamilton County CVB approaches, I can't help but look back at how much I've learned, in terms of both job skills and knowledge about this place I've called home for the past 13 years. While the former doesn't have a place here, I can't help but share just a few things about the latter.
1. That there are music halls in Northern Hamilton County, the Atlanta Music Hall in Atlanta, and the Hedgehog in Arcadia. Quaint towns and local music make for a different kind of evening out!
2. That Hamilton County Westfield in particular was a hot bed of Underground Railroad activity (although I may have learned this in fourth grade social studies and since forgotten). In Westfield there are even haunted Underground Railroad walks, a perfect Halloween activity for a history buff like me.
3. How to navigate all of Carmel's roundabouts. In fact, I've come to like them, they actually do make driving easier, go figure!
4. That Hamilton County was named the #1 place to raise a family in 2008 by Forbes magazine. Good choice, mom and dad.
5. That the Atlanta Mercantile, in Northern Hamilton County, sells local and regional artisan goods, from candies and homemade foods to antiques and a wide variety of arts and crafts.
6. Just how many excursions the Indiana Transportation Museum offers. Growing up I always knew about, and even frequented the FairTrain, Polar Bear Express, and Pumpkin Train, but after a summer here, I'm excited to take a go on the Dinner in the Diner or the Dinner or a Movie too!
7. What a wide variety of quaint and unique local restaurants we have here. From an old Carnegie Library and fine Italian to coffee shops and tea rooms.
8. How wonderful a place Hamilton County is, not only for an Indiana getaway, but also somewhere to live, work and play. There's so much to do here, leaving me ashamed that I ever spent a weekend lamenting boredom.