Alas, summer is fading away here in Hamilton County. But with fall comes tons of fun! This Labor Day Weekend is no exception to the fun-filled schedule either. Read on for ideas like live music, farmers markets, train rides and more. Be sure to check our online calendar for even more ideas for the weekend and for upcoming fall fun.
1. It's the last weekend of the season to catch live tunes on the prairie during Symphony on the Prairie at Conner Prairie. Pack a picnic and dive in to a weekend packed with music. This Thursday and Friday, enjoy the Hit Men: Studio Legends of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Saturday and Sunday bring the Preservation Jazz Hall Band with great jazz sound all the way from New Orleans.
2. Summer may be ending, but the fresh produce at local farmers markets is still very abundant! Check out some farm fresh flavors at the Noblesville Main Street Produce Market, the Carmel Farmers Market, Noblesville Farmers Market, Fishers Farmers Market, or Saxony Market.
3. Head to the Nickel Plate District Amphitheatre for some FREE concerts this weekend. On Friday the AMP After Dark series concludes with a show featuring Jon Banard. Saturday you won't want to miss the 2nd Annual Blues Festival from 4-10 p.m. Several artists will light up the stage with classic blues tunes and a lifetime achievement award for Indiana blues legend Harvey Cook will be presented. Outside picnic food is welcome at both events, but vendors will also be on hand too.
4. Ride in style with the Indiana Transportation Museum. Two train excursions are available this weekend. The Blue Arrow runs this Saturday and transports passengers from Fishers to Noblesville, Atlanta or Tipton. Schedules allow for about an hour stop at your destination, perfect for picking up a bite to eat at a local restaurant. Also this weekend is the Hoosierland Train that runs from Fishers to Noblesville's square and Forest Park.
5. Say farewell to summer at the Salute to Summer in Witten Park in Saxony this Saturday. Local favorites The Bishops will perform from 6:30- 9:30 p.m., plus picnics and chairs are welcome.
6. Can't get enough classic cars? Head to the Saturday Night Cruise-In on the square in Noblesville this Saturday evening. Or save your Labor Day plans for the 23rd Annual Red Bridge Rod Run in Cicero. Over 150 vintage cars will be on display in Red Bridge Park starting at 8 a.m. on Monday.
7. Many summer exhibits are ending soon, don't miss out on these unique shows! Walled Gardens in Miniature is the Museum of Miniature Houses and Other Collection's summertime showcase. Marvel at the tiny replicas of several styles of gardens. Or take in some local art at Nickel Plate Arts' exhibit highlighting local photography. "Aperture Stop" will be on display through Saturday.
8. The close of summer brings fall flavor to Conner Prairie once again. The Apple Store will open on September 1 and be open Tuesday- Sunday through October 31. Not only are local apples available, but also hand-dipped caramel apples, apple donuts, apple cider slushies, and many more local treats!
Have a safe, relaxing, and happy Labor Day Weekend!