If you are already planning a weekend getaway to Hamilton County's 8 Great Towns or want to take a last minute Indiana vacation, here are 8 Great Things to do in Hamilton County, Indiana this weekend.
1. Can't wait until Friday to kick off the holiday season? Get a jump on the weekend with the Fishers tree lighting on Thursday, December 2.
2. Visit with Santa and "ooh and ahh" over the beautifully lit tree as part of the Westfield in Lights Winter Weekend, from 5 to 9 p.m. on Friday, December 3. The evening includes the carolers, carriage rides and more.
3. Count all the gumdrops, peppermints and colorful candies used to make the icing-covered masterpieces in the Gingerbread Village at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park. The display is open through Jan. 2, 2011. You can vote for your favorite gingerbread creation now through Dec. 19.
4. Also on Friday, you can shop locally at the Noblesville Main Street Annual Holiday Farmer's Market at the 4-H Fairgrounds 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Stay in Noblesville if you can for the First Friday Christmas on the Square. See Santa, listen to holiday music and do a little (more) shopping.
5. If beautifully decorated holiday homes are more your thing, you may want to check out the 14th annual Holiday Home Tour sponsored by the Carmel Clay Historical Society on Friday instead. Tickets are $55, and include dinner and a live auction featuring antiques and art.
6. Gaze at the stars at the Taylor Center of Natural History with Dr. Ronald Weiss from Vincennes University. You can learn about quasars at this month's Star and Satellite Gazing Tour on Saturday, December 4, at 5:30 p.m.
7. Enjoy a fun-filled Saturday of family activities at Christmas on Main Street at the Arcadia Arts Initiative. Discover holiday treasures at unique retailers, then decorate a Christmas ornament, enjoy cookies and milk, take a photo with Santa. End the evening with the lighting of the town Christmas tree by Father Christmas himself! Events are scheduled throughout the day, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
8. Rediscover your favorite characters in the musical Alice in Wonderland at the Belfry Theatre in Noblesville. Various dates and performances, now through December 12. * For a complete listing of things do in Hamilton County, Indiana visit our online calendar at 8GreatTowns.com!