If you are already planning a weekend getaway to Hamilton County's 8 Great Towns or want to take a last minute Indiana vacation, here are 8 Great Things to do in Hamilton County, Indiana this weekend.
1. Take the family to opening weekend of the Indiana State Fair! Add in an extra adventure by riding the WFMS FairTrain. Several daily round-trip options from Fishers, Indiana, to the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Cost: $13 round-trip for adults (age 13 and up); $6 for children age 2 through 12, and free for children under the age of 2. Discount tickets are available on select days.
2. Celebrate First Friday on the Historic Square in downtown Noblesville, Indiana. On Friday, enjoy the sounds of Bill Lancton as part of Jazz on the Square, 7 to 9:30 p.m. On the east side of the Square, enjoy the best of Italian foods and music at the Sister Cities Italian Fest, 5 to 8 p.m.
3. Return to the Noblesville Square on Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the free Invitational Art Show featuring local artists' works. End your day with Shakespeare in the Park at dusk in Seminary Park.
4. Take a guided journey into the past on the Voices of the Past living history tour. Learn about Westfield, Indiana's founding fathers through fascinating stories told by local actors. Tours leave every 10 minutes on Saturday, 5:30 to 8 p.m. Cost: $10 for adults; $5 for students and free for children under 12.
5. Sing and dance to your favorite Billy Joel and Elton John songs at this week's Symphony on the Prairie. Michael Cavanaugh, who played the title role in Joel's Broadway musical Movin' Out, will perform hits by these two musical greats. The show starts at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Cost: $22 for adults; $11 for children in advance, or $27 for adults and $13 for children at the gate.
6. Take part in the 1836 Prairietown elections at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park. Meet the candidates, listen to the debate and cast your vote for Fence Inspector! Cost: $14 adults, $13 seniors 65+, $9 youth 2-12. Free for members & youth under 2.
7. On Saturday, head to the Indianapolis Executive Airport for the Fifth Annual Open House/Fly In and Fundraiser, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring civilian and military aircraft displays, skydiving performances, children's activities, music and food. Free admission.
8. End the weekend with a free concert at Red Bridge Park in Cicero, Indiana, featuring the Rick Harrel Band. The concert starts Sunday at 6 p.m. *For a complete listing of things do in Hamilton County, Indiana, visit our online calendar at 8GreatTowns.com.