If you are already planning a weekend getaway to Hamilton County's 8 Great Towns or want to take a last minute Indiana vacation, here are 8 Great Things to do in Hamilton County, Indiana this weekend.
1. Kick off the spring festivals season with arts, crafts, food and kids activities and entertainment at the Arcadia May Festival, Saturday and Sunday, in downtown Arcadia, Indiana. Add to your day by taking the train from Noblesville to the festival, courtesy of the Indiana Transportation Museum.
2. Commemorate the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War during Civil War Days at Conner Prairie, May 21-22. Watch the battle, learn about Union and Confederate soldiers and catch up with Abraham Lincoln. Cost: $14/adults, $13/seniors 65 +, $9/youth (ages 2-12). Free for members and youth under 2. Past and present military personnel receive free admission and half-price admission for immediate family members.
3. Take in the sounds of the Indiana Wind Symphony during their final concert of the season, Emblems and Epithets, at the Palladium at Center for the Performing Arts, May 21 at 7 p.m.
4. Get behind the virtual wheel of your own race car at Net Heads. Choose from open wheel, touring, or muscle car games during Race Night on Friday. For ages 18 and up.
5. Attend the May 22 opening of Painter with a Pen: The Illustrations of Frank Booth exhibit at The Monon Deport Museum in Carmel, Indiana. Booth, a nationally known illustrator who grew up and lived in what is now part of Carmel, had his work appear in books written by Hoosier authors James Whitcomb Riley and Theodore Dreiser.
6. Explore Coxhall Gardens in Carmel. This 125-acre park is not your average garden. It includes twin 90-feet bell towers, a recreation lake, and Children's Garden with village stores, echo walls, peek-a-boo hills, sun dial and Tiki huts.
7. Grab your recyclable bag and head out for opening day for the Carmel Farmers Market and Noblesville Farmers Market. Both open for the season this Saturday, May 21. 8. Enjoy the final weekend of the musical Chicago performed by the Actors Theatre of Indiana at The Studio at the Center for the Performing Arts. *For a complete listing of things do in Hamilton County, Indiana, visit our online calendar at 8GreatTowns.com.