School is finally out! Now is the time to plan a weekend getaway to Hamilton County's 8 Great Towns for a great Indiana vacation. Here are 8 Great Things to do in Hamilton County, Indiana this weekend.
1. Pack your picnic basket and wind down from the work week at the Cool Creek Concert Series, Fridays June 3-July 17. The ever-popular band Polkaboy kicks-off the series this Friday at Cool Creek Park and Nature Center in Carmel, Indiana. Gates open at 6 p.m. and the concert starts at 7 p.m. Cost: $5 per adult, free for children under 12.
2. Peruse through antiques, vintage collectibles and quality arts and crafts during the Old Mill Festival, Saturday, 9:30 to 5 p.m. in downtown Noblesville on the Square. Cost: free.
3. Cheer on the runners participating in the first Carmel Marathon Championship Weekend. Events include a marathon, half marathon, 8K run/walk and 1-mile family fitness walk. First races starts Saturday at 7 a.m. with post-event awards and concerts continuing until 9 p.m.
4. Rock the afternoon and night away at Rock the District in the Carmel Arts and Design District, Saturday, 2:30 to 9 p.m. The 2011 lineup includes Yacht Rock Revue, Yukon Fox, A Common Year plus five other bands on two stages.
5. The shops of the Carmel Art and Design District will be open for Second Saturday, throughout the Rock the District event. Stop in local galleries and see work from Kay Quatroch, Randall Sexton, local artist Susan Mauck and more.
6.Shop locally at the Fishers Farmers Market, Saturday, 8 am to 11:30 a.m., at the Fishers Town Center on 116th Street, showcasing more than35 high quality vendors offering fresh produce, live goods, bakery items, specialty products, meat and cheese and hand crafted gifts.
7. Groove to some of your favorite 1960s hits in the Carmel Community Players production of SUDS, the Rocking 60s Musical Soap Opera, on stage at the Carmel Community Playhouse, now through June 19.
8. Enjoy the tasty hometown flavor of small town America by attending the annual Sheridan, Indiana Fireman's and Sheridan Lions Club Fish Fry on Saturday. Tickets for this deep-fried, diet-buster meal are $10 at the door. Children under 12 are $4. *For a complete listing of things do in Hamilton County, Indiana, visit our online calendar at 8GreatTowns.com.