Hunt for history, nibble on local produce, or splash in the pool this weekend here in Hamilton County! Read on for great activity ideas that are perfect for a little weekend getaway. As always, below is just a selection of the many events happening this weekend. For a full list, check out our online calendar of events.
1. Gather at the new Nickel Plate District Amphitheater in Fishers for a free movie on Friday night. Depending upon weather of course (follow @FishersIN on Twitter for weather updates), the movie Brave will begin at dusk. Bring blankets, chairs, and snacks for a family night out on the cheap!
2. Ride the rails to the annual Arcadia May Fesival in downtown Arcadia on Saturday and Sunday. First, head to the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville to board the Mayfest Train. Then enjoy a train ride through Hamilton County before arriving in Arcadia to partake in the Mayfest! There will be arts and craft booths, a flea market, food, entertainment, and a car show too. Then simply hop back on the train to return to Noblesville.
3. It's finally Farmers Market time! Enjoy the fresh local goodies of the season here in Hamilton County. The Carmel Farmers Market begins Saturday at 8 a.m. and goes until 11:30 a.m. at the Center Green in front of the Palladium. The Noblesville Farmers Market is also on Saturdays and goes from 8 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. Both offer a wide variety of produce, baked goods, and prepared foods to tame your hunger while you shop.
4. Be immersed in history at Conner Prairie's Civil War Days this Saturday and Sunday! Visit with Union and Confederate soldiers, see reenacted battles, shoot a Civil-war era reproduction rifle and much more. On Saturday only you'll also be able to end your day of Civil War history with the patriotic sounds of the 38th Infantry National Guard Band at 4 p.m.
5. Head to the pool. Yes, the pool! Forest Park pool in Noblesville is opening to the public this Saturday at noon. Splash in the Olympic-size swimming pool or kiddie pools and enjoy the spray park too. With only a 30% chance of rain, there's a good chance you'll still be able to enjoy a first swim of the season!
6. It is the month of May here in Indiana, and we just can't get enough cars. Matteo's Ristorante Italiano is celebrating the Italian way with their annual Ferrari Festival this Sunday! Enjoy a buffet lunch of delicious Italian food and then stroll around Matteo's on the Noblesville Square where Ferraris and other classic cars will be on display for gawkers and car lovers.
7. Get back into the swing of golf (pun intended). Our blogger Alan recently did a little digging into our Stay & Play program in his latest post. He determined that not only are they a great value, but participants get to experience some of the best-designed courses in the state! This Sunday avid golfers can also participate in Fox Prairie Golf Course's Free Golf Demo Day where there will be contests, custom club fitting and great sales on golf equipment too.
8. Explore Hamilton County history in unconventional way this weekend. Trains were a major part of shaping Hamilton County's transportation and industrial history. Today you can hop aboard the Blue Arrow (formerly the Pizza Plus Express) for a train trip that will drop you right at a dinner spot with three restaurant choices. Trains depart from the Indiana Transportation Museum and reservations are recommended. Discover facts about Hamilton County's involvement in the Underground Railroad during a ghost walk in Westfield. Maybe even catch a glimpse of a ghost too!