It's the last weekend of June already? It's time to get your summer fun on! Below you'll find great ideas for a fun weekend getaway to Hamilton County, Indiana including festivals, live music and more. You can find even more ideas on our online calendar of events.
1. Start celebrating Independence Day a little early with the annual Fishers Freedom Festival this weekend! Munch on food, browse craft and vendor booths, listen to live music, and of course see the fireworks. For a full schedule of events check out the festival's website. Also, if you just can't get enough Americana, stop by Billericay Park to see the Fishers Freedom Festival Baseball tournament!
2. Not all of us can afford to attend the star-studded Center for the Performing Art's Encore Celebration Gala this weekend, but everyone can visit The Michael Feinstein Great American Songbook Initiative! This archive/museum lives in the Palladium and you can visit for free. There you can discover a great collection of America's musical heritage of the 1920's - 1960's and even see a pair of Fred Astaire's dancing shoes.
3. Head to northern Hamilton County for lounging on the beach (yes, a beach!) and enjoy some live music. Dip your toes or whole self into Morse Reservoir at Morse Park & Beach, then enjoy a sweet treat from Alexander's on the Water. Next head up the road to Arcadia for an evening of guitar music at the Hedgehog Music Showcase.
4. Grab a group of friends or a date and enjoy some performing arts in Hamilton County. Symphony on the Prairie this weekend features movie music of John Williams (think Star Wars & Jaws) or enjoy Legends of Love at the Tarkington being performed by the Gregory Hancock Dance Theater. Grab dinner before either show at a locally owned eatery for a complete night out!
5. Begin AND end your weekend getaway in Hamilton County with free live music. On Thursday, enjoy an outdoor concert on the grassy knoll at Clay Terrace Mall. Or on Sunday head to the Prairie Guest House for their Sunday afternoon concert series featuring local musicians.
6. Finalize your Independence Day plans for a great visit to Hamilton County! Read our previous post packed with July 4th events to enjoy throughout the county. Plus you'll find ideas for how to extend your holiday into a weekend of fun!
7. Did you know that in addition to historical areas, Conner Prairie has a water play area? Take the kiddos to the River Crossing Play Area that features water canons, a water play table and more. Or head to The Waterpark at the Monon Community Center to float in the lazy river and even enjoy live music during Splash Attack!
8. Haven't been to Noblesville recently? You're missing out! Start out the weekend at the Produce Market (if you miss that, go for the Noblesville Farmers Market on Saturday) followed by a summer concert with the band Living Proof. Saturday enjoy lunch and shopping on the square and take a break to hear live music from 1-3:30 p.m. during the Saturday Afternoon Concert Series. End the day with a real treat, an authentic Italian dinner at Matteo's that you won't soon forget.