It's mid-May in Hamilton County which means the summer fun getting ready to begin! This week you can treat your mom to a special Mother's Day, learn how to create your ultimate outdoor living space, vote for your favorite Hamilton County ice cream shop and summer attractions and more! For even more great events, check out our online calendar of events.
1. For all of you procrastinators out there still needing to make plans for Mother's Day, check out our 8 Great Ideas for a lovely Mother's Day in Hamilton County. For very last minute gifts- head to the Mother's Day Sale at Old Picket Fence from May 10-12 or stop by Gallery 116 for an artsy present she'll love.
2. Cook out season has arrived! Get all the information you need for creating your perfect outdoor entertainment space at the Indiana Design Center's Outdoor Living and Grilling Experience. This free event will have grilling demonstrations, high tech outdoor gadgets and more!
3. There are only a few more Nickel Plate Arts classes left in their pilot season, so make your class reservations today! Coming up on May 19, Bonnie Ramirez will teach Intro to Precious Metal Clay where you can learn Precious Metal Clay that hat starts as clay and is magically transformed into copper! Another great class coming is Hearth Cooking where students will learn the art of cooking over an open fire at Conner Prairie. After learning several cooking techniques, the class will be able to enjoy the fresh-cooked lunch that they have prepared! Another art class option is the Rug Weaving Workshop at Tabby Tree Weaver this weekend where acclaimed weaver Jason Collingwood will teach his craft.
4. If you have not yet explored the Carmel Arts & Design District, you are missing out! Take the time to explore galleries like Renaissance Fine Art and Design and Art Splash. Or stop in a fun shops like Pillow Talk and Simply Sweet Shoppe. The perfect time to do this is during the Second Saturday Gallery Walk this Saturday!
5. The My Marsh Classic golf tournament is fast approaching, while out shopping grab some tickets at one of the 70 central Indiana Marsh Supermarket locations. There are tons of opportunities to receive discounted tickets too! Active military tickets are$2, student tickets are $5 and kids 16 and under are FREE with the purchase of an adult ticket.
6. Spend the day enjoying art in Noblesville. Check out the new exhibit "Forms and Function" at the Hamilton County Artist Association's Birdie Gallery. Next stroll to the square for a downright artful sandwich creation from Uptown Café. Then make your way around the Historic Noblesville Square stopping in shops and galleries like Artists on the Square, Karisma and more.
7. Have you ever played golf in Hamilton County? Now is a great time to start with a Stay & Play package! With 8 courses and 15 hotel options, the combinations are endless and you're sure to find the package that's right for you. It's the perfect getaway for a group of old friends or even makes for a unique bachelor party.
8. Get your votes in for The Best of Indiana contests! Several Hamilton County favorites are up to win Indiana's Best Ice Cream Shop. Cast your vote today for Alexander's on the Water, Bub's Burgers & Ice Cream, Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt in Carmel and Fishers, the Old Custard Stand, or Orange Leaf in Carmel and Fishers. In addition to voting for your favorite summer treat spot, you can also vote for your favorite Indiana summer activities! Again, several Hamilton County attractions and activities have made the list including: Conner Prairie Interactive History Park and Symphony on the Prairie, the Indiana Transportation Museum, Klipsch Music Center, and last but not least, Indiana's Premier Golf! Go to the Best of Indiana page to cast your votes.