Whether you prefer running, walking or gardening- it's time to get outside in the lovely Indiana springtime! For locals and visitors alike, here are 8 great ideas for spending your weekend in Hamilton County, Indiana. For even more ideas, check our online calendar of events!
1. Calling all runners and walkers! The 2nd Annual Carmel Marathon is this Saturday and late registration is still open until Friday. The event includes a full marathon, a half marathon, the Key Bank 8k, and a 1-mile Family Fitness Walk. If you're not into running, you can cheer on the top three winners at the 11 am awards presentation on Center Green near the Palladium.
2. Learn about the War of 1812 this weekend at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park. This special event will commemorate the Bicentennial of the war and feature reenactors who will bring historic battles to life.
3. Need to get your furry friend out of the house or are you looking for your own dog to care for? Head to Clay Terrace on Saturday to celebrate man's best friend at Dog Day. There will be pet rescue and adoption agencies and other pet friendly activities! After all the excitement of Dog Day, head to a Hamilton County park for a nice stroll with your pup.
4. Seeking some thrills and chills? Head to the Carmel Community Players' production of the thriller, Rebecca. The play follows a young wife who is seeking the truth about her husband's previous wife who met an untimely death. If real life spooks are you're your style, sign up to participate in a Noblesville ghost walk that is both historical and scary.
5. Eat some tasty pizza (almost) guilt free! From April 23-April 29, Mellow Mushroom in Carmel will be donating 10% of your purchase to the Multiple Sclerosis Society. What a great way to enjoy a family meal while benefiting a great cause!
6. Speaking of going green, April 22 is Earth Day! Attend Cicero Cleans Up this Saturday and help Cicero get spiffed up. Another great way to celebrate is by using green transportation like your bike. The Noblesville Rotary is hosting a bike tour on Saturday that will stretch for 10 or 5 miles depending on your route.
7. It's time to start planting your garden for spring and summer! Start by attending Westfield's Tree Selection & Planting Workshop on Saturday. It's a free workshop that will help you pick the right tree for your yard and learn properly plant it. Next get your flower beds under control with a trip to a local garden shop like Rita's Backyard Garden Center or Garden Thyme at the Old Schoolhouse.
8. We want YOU to be able to ready your garden for spring and summer too. Comment on this blog with your favorite spot for viewing flowers in Hamilton County- it could be a park or an attraction like the fields at Conner Prairie or something else, just be creative! We'll pick one lucky commenter to win a $75 gift certificate to Garden Thyme at the Old Schoolhouse!
This contest is now closed, congrats to Beth Brown who has won the gift certificate!