The lovely month of June continues in Hamilton County, Indiana with perfect weather for all of the weekly outdoor concerts and farmers markets. Whether you're a local or a visitor, you can enjoy Hamilton County's summer fun activities and al fresco dining spots that will make great summer memories for any family. For even more events, check our online calendar for events happening throughout Hamilton County, Indiana.
1. This weekend is all about celebrating Father's Day! Take the whole weekend to celebrate with dad or pick and choose some gift ideas to make his day special. Take dad to view some art at the Hamilton County Artists Association's newest exhibit, "Like Father, Like Daughter". Or spoil him with the special father's day menu at MCL Restaurant and Bakery, then let him add all the toppings he wants to his ice cream at Rita's
Father's Day Ice Cream Social. For even more ideas, check our previous Father's Day post.
2. This is the perfect weekend to try something new like a train ride! The Indiana Transportation Museum is running THREE trains this weekend. The Fishers Explorer Train on June 16 is a great short trip to Fishers. The Pizza Plus Express will get the whole family to dinner and back in style. Also don't miss the Dad's Day Train on Father's Day.
3. The premier of Symphony on the Prairie is this Saturday! Grab some friends and a picnic and head to the first in the lineup of great shows: Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Hamilton County also has several FREE community concerts that happen weekly throughout the summer!
4. Break out your favorite bluegrass instrument or just bring your listening ears and go to the Sheridan Bluegrass Jam is coming up in July and this is the perfect way to prepare for the two-day festival!
5. Beginning next Monday, Cool Creek Park and Nature Center will have a new summer exhibit on display. "Summer Sense-ations" will celebrate the creatures that make an appearance during summer. This Friday also marks the beginning of the Cool Creek Concert Series where Polka Boy will take to the stage for an evening of fun!
6. Looking for a way to cool off? Round up the family and head to one of Hamilton County's many swimming spots. Or head to a local ice cream shop for a cool treat! Orange Leaf in Carmel and Fishers lets little ones pile on as many toppings as their hearts desire and Alexander's on the Water in Cicero is the perfect stop after spending the day at Morse Reservoir.
7. Hop in the car and head to Sheridan for a unique opportunity to meet some animals up close. The Critter Showcase is an annual event that allows you to meet llamas, alpacas, rabbits and more. This free event is on Saturday, June 16 in Veteran's Park.
8. Peruse the new Nickel Plate Arts class schedule and pick a few to sign up for. This season's selections range from Inkle weaving to pinch pots and coil pottery for little ones. Be sure to register online before the class you want fills up, this season is sure to be popular!