The calendars have turned and so have the leaves - that means it's fall break time! Indiana is breathtaking this time of year and fall is the perfect time to visit Hamilton County, Indiana for a quick, fun family getaway and get your fall fix. To give you a break with planning, we've compiled the top 8 things to do with family or friends.
1. Take a spooky hayride at the Headless Horseman festival at Conner Prairie. While you're there, explore the new seven-acre corn maze. There are actually two mazes inside the experience – a short maze designed to take about 30 minutes to navigate and a longer one that’ll take about an hour or more for guests to explore. While you're at it, take flight on the balloon to catch a glimpse at all the changing fall leaves and see an aerial view of the aforementioned corn maze.
Never been to Headless Horseman? Read our guide featuring things to know before you go.
2. Test your equestrian skills while riding a horse at K-Trails Equestrian Adventures. You can also shoot arrow a bow and arrow or challenge yourself at a treetop ropes course, complete with ziplines. Find it all at Strawtown Koteewi Park, a 750-acre park with features like biking trails, fishing, equestrian trails, natural history center, archaeological areas and more. Fill the day with adventure!
3. Marvel at the fall foliage at Flat Fork Creek Park. Try the free Second Nature backpack program to rent a backpack with the perfect tools for exploring nature. There are backpacks geared toward preschool/youth, teens and adults available at the Fishers Parks & Recreation office.
4. Bike along the Monon Trail and taste a few brews. There are many great locations to shop, eat and sip along the Monon. Take advantage of the cooling temperatures to get out and enjoy local fare.
Check out Yelp Indy's list of top 8 stops along the Monon Trail in Hamilton County to guide your adventure.
5. Sip an apple cider slushie at the Apple Store at Conner Prairie. They're a popular fall treat in Hamilton County - last year they sold more than 9,000 slushies! All the money goes to support Conner Prairie's programming and educational efforts. Keep it slow though - these delicious drinks can cause a mean brain freeze.
Read what other fall treats you should try at the Apple Store at Conner Prairie.
6. Spruce up your front porch with fall decor from Spencer Farm. On the weekends, take a hayride out to the pumpkin patch to pick your own pumpkins. You also have the option to dig up your own mums for $4.49. They're massive and you won't get a better bargain anywhere in town.
See a full list of pumpkin patches and apple orchards to get your fall fix.
7. Explore Hamilton County's haunted side. A chill will run down your spine if you take the Nefarious Ghost Walk in Noblesville or the Howling Hamilton County Bus Tour through Unseenpress. These events are for children 6+ but can give you quite a spook!
8. Shop at Indiana's first IKEA store. Swedish style meets Hoosier hospitality at the highly-anticipated IKEA Fishers, opening Oct. 11. Get all the details and go behind-the-scenes on our blog.
Now that you've got the low down on all the fun fall break activities, which one(s) are you going to choose? Let us know if there are additional festivities going on in Hamilton County that we may have missed. Tag us on social using #VisitHC / @VisitHamiltonCo to share how you spend your time over fall break, and don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.