Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines: the greatest month in racing has arrived! Speedway, Indiana may be the epicenter of epic action, but the celebrations extend throughout the central Indiana community. We’re proud to partner with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a collaborative effort called 500 Forward to promote the 101st running of the Indianapolis 500 throughout the region.
Here are 10 ways to toast to the race in Hamilton County, Indiana:
1. Do you have the greatest porch in racing? Register to host or attend a porch party in the month of May – invite some neighbors, fire up the barbeque and enjoy the beautiful weather.
2. Traveling from out of town? Keep an eye out for official Indy 500 décor inside some of our hotel properties – from pop up banners to window clings, we’re rolling out the checkered welcome mat! Be sure to grab a special postcard and drop a line to friends and family who aren’t as lucky to be attending the greatest spectacle in racing.
3. Check yo self and don your best race-themed attire. The more spirited, the better!
4. Walk, bike or roll on more than 500 miles of trails in Hamilton County – that number seems to be common around here, eh? No bike, no problem – we’ve got you covered with Zagster bike share stations sprinkled throughout the county.
5. Speaking of biking, did you know the Monon Trail connects to the Cultural Trail downtown? Or head north through a picturesque canopy of trees to Grand Park for athletic competitors racing around fields and diamonds.
6. Put pedal to the metal and feel the need for speed at K1 Speed. After you strap on the helmet and tackle the track, you’ll be feeling like kissing the bricks in no time.
7. Do laps around the Fishers Nickel Plate District aboard the Pint Cycle.
8. Kick off race weekend (and Memorial Day weekend) with Late Night on Main in the Carmel Arts & Design District. Shops and restaurants are open late for a street party with live music until midnight. Find more happenings in Hamilton County on our calendar of events.
9. Move over, milk bottle: instead, raise a pint (of beer) to the newly crowned champ. There’s a brew for you that’ll have you feeling “hoppy.”
How are you celebrating the month of May? Tag us in your posts on social using #visithc!