The 2012 BMW Golf Championship is at Crooked Stick, September 3-9, 2012 in Carmel, Indiana. Golf fans will have exciting moments watching the likes of Tiger Woods, Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy. But wait, there's more than golf to keep you busy! When you're off the links, try one of Hamilton County's unique, locally-owned restaurants or take in a little entertainment during your stay.
Here are a few of our recommendations of "must-do" activities while you're in town:
• Don't let the pros have all the fun. Take in 18 holes on your own at one of our premier Indiana golf courses.
• Try a Breaded Tenderloin. Indiana is famous for the beloved traditional tenderloin sandwich, and you can find 18 restaurants who serve the crunchy, hometown favorite on our Tenderloin Trail. One of the stops on the trail is the Nickel Plate Bar and Grill in Fishers. Their sandwich was one of the Super46 Sandwiches of Super Bowl 46!
• Bite into a Really BIG Burger! Stop in Bub's Burgers and Ice Cream in Carmel to see if you can handle the Big Ugly. Man v. Food took on the Big Ugly, and if you completely devour this behemoth one-pound burger, you'll get your picture on the wall. Warning: completing a Big Ugly you may cause extreme drowsiness!
• Grab a Brew - or two. Barley Island Brewing Company in Noblesville features handcrafted beers like the Blind Tiger Pale Ale and the Bum Rush. If wine is more your style, try Shiraz Wine Experience and Art Café or Chateau Thomas Winery.
• Stroll through the Carmel Art and Design District to discover a host of unique eateries, including Woody's Library Restaurant, DeTour An American Grill and Mudbugs Cajun Café. On Saturday, September 8, 5 to 10 p.m., enjoy live entertainment and explore 11 different art galleries during the monthly gallery walk.
• Enjoy a musical performance at the Center for the Performing Arts. Scheduled shows include Sheryl Crow (Sept. 6) and LeAnn Rimes (Sept. 9) at the Palladium and A Chorus Line (Sept. 7 to 22) at the Tarkington theater.
Click here for a complete guide of things to do and places to eat in our 8 Great Towns and a list of places with special offers for BMW ticket holders.
Win 2 Free Tickets to the BMW Championship!
Crooked Stick will be booked by our favorite golf superstars, so we wanted to know what other courses you would suggest for golf lovers. If you've played a course in Hamilton County, tell us one of your other favorite golf courses. If you haven't visited Hamilton County before, check out this list of courses, and tell us which course you would love to play. Comment on this post with your answer by Friday, August 31 at 5 p.m., and you could win two tickets for the final day of play and 2 BMW hats! The contest is now closed.
Congratulations to our winner Rich Waite! Here's what he had to say about his favorite Hamilton County golf courses:
"So many good ones! Based on price, Brookshire is a great deal! Wood Wind
is also fun. Step it up a notch, and Prairie View is a challenge.
Many would say the most challenging is Purgatory. Pick your budget,
then you can decide where is the best place to play.
As far as the best "19th Hole" goes, really anywhere I can enjoy a cold beverage with my golfing buddies after the round!!"