It may not feel like it yet, but spring officially began this week! In celebration, we have compiled a list of great things that are happening this spring in Hamilton County. Once the weather warms up, there will be even more to do- from biking and hiking to shopping at farmers markets. Of course outdoor concert season will heat up as well! Read on for things that you shouldn't miss this season in Hamilton County.
1. Opening Day at Conner Prairie is just around the corner! On March 28, Conner Prairie will open its doors for the warmer seasons. This includes the opening of their outdoor experiences like the 1859 Balloon Voyage, 1836 Prairie Town, and the new Nature Walk. The walk will wind through 4 distinct environments: forest, farmland, prairie and the White River.
2. Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations are plentiful this year. Celebrate the earth and nature in communities across Hamilton County this springtime. Attend Cicero Cleans Up and volunteer with Cicero Parks or help out at Spring Service Day at Ritchey Woods Nature Preserve. Attend the Earth Day Celebration at Founders Park in Carmel, head to Noblesville for a weekend of Earth Day Arborfest for fun and free trees, participate in Green Friday for Noblesville Main Street's First Friday. See a new tree being planted in Brooks School Park for Arbor Day in Fishers, or go to Westfield for their Arbor Day Tree Planting. Also, don't miss Nickel Plate Art's week-long celebration- Earth Week or Arbor Day at Conner Prairie!
3. Start of Farmer Market season is coming soon in Hamilton County! The Carmel Farmers Market and Noblesville Farmers Market both begin on May 18, The Fishers Market begins on May 25 and Westfield's begins on June 7. The newest addition to the market line-up is the Noblesville Main Street Produce Market that will be held on Thursday evenings, tentatively beginning on May 30.
4. Enjoy the springtime tradition of the Arcadia May Festival. On May 18 and 19, downtown Arcadia will be hosting the annual festival that features arts and craft booths, a flea market, activities for kids, and also a classic car show.
5. Be sure to mark your calendars for the weekend of June 7-9! Both the Nickel Plate Arts Weekend and the Old Mill Festival will be taking place. The Nickel Plate Arts Weekend encompasses several artsy events including the annual Plein Air Paint Out with the Hamilton County Artists Association, public art displays, and much more. The Old Mill Festival takes place on the Square in Noblesville and is a celebration of local arts and crafts.
6. Along with warmer weather comes the start of the outdoor concert season! From national recording acts to local jam bands, Hamilton County offers several venues and opportunities to experience live music. The 25th anniversary year at Klipsch Music Center kicks off on May 10 with a performance by Brad Paisley and continues through the summer with many more great concerts. Also nearly every community offers outdoor concerts and best of all- most of them are free! Check out the Fishers Summer Concerts Series, the series at Clay Terrace, the Cool Creek Concert Series, concerts in Cicero, and Concerts at the Carmel Gazebo all begin during spring and continue through summer too.
7. The Carmel Marathon is returning this spring on April 20 for its third year! This event is not exclusively for serious marathon runners, there is also an 8K, a relay and a 1 mile family fitness walk. The events begin and end at Center Green near The Center for the Performing Arts. The after party that's open to the public is also held there and will feature music and more! No matter if you're running, cheering on a runner, or just there for the music it will be a great time.
8. This spring also brings the return of train rides with the Indiana Transportation Museum! Beginning in May, the museum will offer everything from short caboose rides to the popular Pizza Plus Express. Visit the ITM page and click ‘Events' for the full schedule of fun train rides.