Klipsch Music Center is celebrating its 25 year anniversary this year. Looking at the landscape today, it is hard to believe that in 1989 what was then known as Deer Creek Music Center stood in the middle of cornfields with very few homes around. In fact, that is still how I picture it. But today, located off of exit 210 on I69, Klipsch Music Center is virtually in the middle of urban sprawl. Homes are located on every side and Hamilton Town Center, with its 85 shops and restaurants, is just a mile away (which means it makes for a perfect stop before a show!).
I've attended my fair share of shows over the course of the last few years. Toby Keith was one of my favorites and I'm already looking forward to The Zac Brown Band this summer. But what I've never thought about, and what I've found interesting to find out, is how much of a community-minded landmark Klipsch Music Center is. What you might not realize is how many church events, graduations, Boy Scout activities and soccer games have been held on the grounds. Klipsch even has the opportunity for organizations to work concessions to earn money for their cause. And let's not forget the local workers who help make each concert possible - EMTs, security, ticket sales, concession workers and the list goes on.
It's true that Hamilton County wouldn't be the same without Klipsch. Outside of all the support it has given to the community, the best thing they are known for is the music. Countless acts have performed at Klipsch from Dave Matthews Band to Aerosmith to Kenny Chesney and the names keep coming.
But you may not know some of these facts:
• It takes a team of over 500 to put on a show.
• Since 1989, there have been three different names for the Venue: Deer Creek Music Center (1989-2001), Verizon Wireless Music Center (2001-2011) and now Klipsch Music Center.
• In 2000, there was a renovation and seating went from 20,000 to 24,000.
• Some of the MANY acts that have sold out the venue include: Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish, Pearl Jam, Metallica, KISS, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Guns N Roses, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi and Kenny Chesney.
• Jimmy Buffet has performed the most times.
• Some of the acts in the opening year included Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Dick Clark's 35th Anniversary Special and Ozzy Osbourne.
• My personal favorite fact: Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett held their wedding reception at the venue in 1993.
• Katy Perry was once an opening act.
• And regularly, Klipsch Music Center is ranked in the top five amphitheaters in the world!
Whether you all it Deer Creek, Verizon or Klipsch, one truth remains ... there is a lot of history at this venue and much more to come in the next 25 years! Happy Anniversary Klipsch Music Center!