Sense & Sensibility
- Presented By: Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre
- Dates: February 2, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre
- Address: 3 Center Green Ste. 300, Carmel, IN 46032
- Time: Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 7:00pm; Sundays at 2:00pm; Final Saturday at 5:00pm
A playful new adaptation of Jane Austen’s beloved novel follows the fortunes (and misfortunes) of the Dashwood sisters—sensible Elinor and hypersensitive Marianne—after their father’s sudden death leaves them financially destitute and socially vulnerable. Set in gossipy late 18th-century England, with a fresh female voice, the play is full of humor, emotional depth, and bold theatricality. SENSE AND SENSIBILITY examines our reactions, both reasonable and ridiculous, to societal pressures. When reputation is everything, how do you follow your heart?
“…so full of galloping comic vitality as to suggest a bunch of stupendously clever kids playing dress-up in the nursery. It’s by far the smartest Jane Austen adaptation to come along since Amy Heckerling’s Clueless, and at least as much fun.” —Wall Street Journal.