Free Things to Do in Hamilton County
If you’re on a budget or looking for free fun, there’s plenty of events and activities in Hamilton County that won’t cost a penny. Here is a list of the top free things to do in Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield and the four northern towns.
Each community has a downtown district with plenty of things to do and see.
- Explore the Carmel Arts & Design District on Main Street in downtown Carmel.
- Eat your way through the new Fishers District east of 116th Street and I-69, with more than 15 local dining options.
- Walk around the Historic Noblesville Square and browse through the local boutiques and antique stores.
- Enjoy the weather at Midtown Plaza along the Monon Trail, featuring bench swings, ping pong tables and public gathering space.
- Wander through the Nickel Plate District in downtown Fishers, with local shopping and dining
Get some fresh air and explore the great outdoors.
- Walk or bike on 15+ miles of the Monon Trail and Monon Greenway through Carmel, Westfield and Sheridan.
- Stroll alongside the White River on the new White River Greenway trail in downtown Noblesville.
- Hit the trails on more than 600 miles of trail throughout the county, including Midland Trace Trail in Westfield.
- Connect with nature at one of 60+ parks county-wide. Popular parks include Central Park and Coxhall Gardens in Carmel, Flat Fork Creek Park in Fishers, Strawtown Koteewi Park in Noblesville, Cool Creek Park in Westfield.
Wander through a local art gallery or studio.
- Browse free art gallery exhibits and local artists’ studios at Nickel Plate Arts.
- Shop at local art galleries like CCA Gallery and Evan Lurie Gallery.
- Find all of the murals, sculptures and roundabout artwork using our interactive Public Art map.
- Get creative and make your own project at Ignite Art Studio.
- Connect with artists and art lovers at First Fridays and Meet Me on Main.
Free concerts? That’s music to our ears.
History + Heritage
Learn about the past to see how it shaped the present.
- Get inspired by the Songbook era of music at the Great American Songbook Foundation exhibit gallery inside The Center for the Performing Arts.
- Explore local history at the Monon Depot Museum, Arcadia Heritage Depot Museum and the Hamilton County Museum of History and Old Sheriff’s Residence & Jail.
- Step back in time at the Taylor Nature Center at Strawtown Koteewi Park, which includes Koteewi Trace, an archaeology site and Native American cultural experience.
- See model locomotives in action at Mr. Muffin’s Trains.
It isn’t summer without a weekend visit to stroll through the produce stands.
- Wake up early on Saturday mornings and browse fresh, local produce and artisan products at the farmers’ markets in Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville and Westfield.
Mark your calendars for these can’t-miss events and festivals with no admission fee.
- Celebrate Independence Day with Carmelfest, Spark!Fishers, Westfield Rocks the 4th, Lights Over Morse Lake and the Noblesville Fourth of July Parade.
- Feel the spirit of the holiday season at the Carmel Christkindlmarkt.
- Take advantage of free admission to Conner Prairie on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day and Smithsonian Museum Day.
- Celebrate art at Artomobilia, Carmel on Canvas, Carmel International Arts Festival, Nickel Plate Arts Maker Faire, Art Fair on the Square, Atlanta New Earth Festival and Potter’s Bridge Fall Festival.
- Enjoy live music and performing arts at Fishers Blues Fest, Noblesville Street Dance and Shakespeare in the Park.
- Cheer on the Indianapolis Colts at Colts Training Camp at Grand Park Sports.
- Soak in summer nights at Art of Wine and Greekfest.